Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who We Are
1. Do I have to own a Rolls-Royce or Bentley to join the Club? No. We warmly welcome anyone into the Club who has a keen interest in Bentley or Rolls-Royce motor cars. In fact, if you are considering purchasing a car, we encourage you to join our Club first, learn all about the particular model you are considering, and then purchase the car.
2. Are Bentleys welcomed in the Club? Absolutely! Bentley cars have been an essential part of our Club since our founding in 1951. In fact, Rolls-Royce and Bentley were one and the same company from 1933 until 2002 and we continue to enthusiastically welcome new Bentleys. About 2/3 of our Board members own at least one Bentley. Not having Bentleys in our Club would be like not having right hand driven cars in our Club.
3. Is this just a Club for old cars? Hardly. Members who joined our Club in the last 12 months own cars that are almost evenly divided between Prewar cars (1907-1939), Early Post War cars (1946-65) Silver Shadow era cars (1966-80), Silver Spirit era cars (1981-1999) and “Millennium Era” cars (2000 +).
4. Are members from outside the USA welcome? Yes. Accueil, Bienvenida, we have hundreds of members from outside the United States and that number is increasing.
5. Is this a Club just for wealthy people? Our members represent a very diverse demographic. We have many members who do all or much of the repair and restoration work themselves and others who have learned from the Club as to what restoration actions are required and (just as importantly) what is not. We are united by our enthusiastic appreciation of the engineering excellence and history of these marques.
6. Don’t you have to be a millionaire to own one of these cars? Many classic cars can still be purchased for about the cost of a typical new, mass produced factory car. Having said that, it’s also quite possible to spend the cost of a typical, new house (or more) on one of these classic cars. There is a motor car for a vast range of income levels. And having said that… we’d encourage any prospective owner to seriously consider the quality and quantity of maintenance service that a motor car has undergone before making any purchase. All previously owned cars should also be inspected by a knowledgeable mechanic before you buy one. The least expensive model is often NOT the best value. A well maintained motor car is of considerable value.
7. Is the Club a part of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars or Bentley Motors? No. While our mission is to support the preservation and enjoyment of Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars, and while we receive generous but informal support from both companies, we are an entirely separate and independent entity.
What We Do
1. Are these cars ever driven? You bet! Both Bentleys and Rolls-Royce motor cars were engineered to be driven. RROC schedules driving tours throughout the year. We also offer several awards at our Annual Meet to members who drive their cars the longest distance to the event. At most Club Meets, we have members who have driven their Rolls-Royce or Bentley cars across country and many for several hundreds of miles.
2. Can you tell me the value of my car? RROC does not and cannot determine the value of Rolls-Royce or Bentley cars. If you need an appraiser, you may wish to consult with a recognized, qualified expert or consult with books designed to do just that.
3. What are your operating hours? Club HQ is open Monday through Thursday 7:30 am to 5:00 pm and from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm on Fridays. (Eastern)
4. What are the benefits of joining the Club? Too numerous to list here but most important is the opportunity to share information and support with over 5,000 friendly, knowledgeable, supportive Club members who share your passion and interest for Bentley and Rolls-Royce motorcars.
5. I’m not a member but I’d like to buy some of your items from Club Store. Can I do that? As an official trademark licensee of Rolls-Royce Plc, the owners of one of the most famous, well known brands in the world, we are permitted to sell our branded merchandise only to Club members. It is, however, easy and inexpensive to join our Club.
6. I want to rent a Rolls-Royce for my wedding/prom. Do you rent cars? The National office does not offer cars for rent. If you’d like to do so, you may wish to contact one of our Region Chairs or do an internet search for vendors in your area.
7. Your events look great but I’m not a member and I’d like to attend your National Meet. Can I do that? As a non-profit, 501 c.7 organization, we are chartered by the IRS to only serve our members. While we’d love to be able to open up our events to the public, and share with the public our enthusiasm for these cars, only members and their invited guests may attend.
8. I want to find the original specifications and history on the Bentley or Rolls-Royce car I own or am about to purchase. How do I do that? The Rolls-Royce Foundation (RRF) www.rollsroycefoundation.org has massive amounts of historical information, much of which is on loan from RROC and much of which was donated to us by Rolls-Royce Motor Cars and Bentley Motors. Email the RRF at email@example.com or call them at 717-795-9400 for further information.
About My Membership
1. From the time I join online, when should I expect to receive communications from the Club? A few seconds after your credit card is processed, you will receive a brief message from the credit card vendor that your membership payment has been accepted. Then, you will receive an email message from Hoop.la inviting you to participate in the Club’s online Discussion Forum. Then, within the week, HQ will mail to you a welcome package.
2. How do I get my username and password to start accessing the Members Only portion of the website? As you complete the Club application process online, you will create your own username and password. As soon as you complete the application process, you will have access to the members only Web Pages.
3. How do I get my password to start accessing the Discussion Forum? Once your application is complete, Hoop.la will email you an invitation to participate in the RROC Discussion Forum. You will need to follow the instructions in the email to set-up your Forum membership – and choose your own password.
4. When will I start to receive my Club magazine, The Flying Lady? The most recent issue of our award winning Club magazine is included in your welcome packet. It is published six times a year. Generally, it is mailed in the first week of January, March, May, July, September and November.
5. Is membership on a calendar year basis (December 31st) or is my membership good for one year from the time I join? No matter when you join, you will receive a full twelve month membership in the Club. If you join on September 24, 2018, your membership will remain current until September 30, 2019.
6. How will I know when my Club membership is about to expire? About a month before your term expires, you will receive a brief email message inviting you to renew your membership dues. We will follow that up with a printed notice. If you renew your dues online, and before we mail a printed renewal notice, that will help us save funds on administrative expenses and allow us to spend more on member services.
Contributions or Gifts to the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club are not tax deductable as charitable donations. Likewise any level of membership dues paid to the Club may not be deducted as charitable donations.